PNW Guns Forum
Go Back   PNW Guns > Gun Forum > Auto Rifles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Question Ammo question...

God, I hope this isnt like 'Tires and Oil', on another popular Forum.
I have been shooting Remington UMC .223 55gr out of an Olympic Arms AR-15.
I bought the ammo at Walmart.
I've been getting alot of extraction jam's. Casing's not coming out of the breach.
Stove piped 3.
I've cleaned and lubed everyting. I even replaced the o-ring on the extracter.
It still does not eject the spent shell case, all the time.(tight breach)?
I went thru a 30 round mag and half of another and then it failed to eject the spent case.
The barrell was too hot to keep my fingers on it.
Today I bought 'Federal 'Power Shock' 223 55 gr. soft points.
They shot flawless.(but cost twice as much) Then I loaded the Remington's. Back to the extraction problem.
Anyone else have a rifle that is 'sensitive' to ammo? Thoughts, ideas?
 
Join PNW Guns


Welcome to PNW Guns, a gun and firearm community for gun owners in the Pacific Northwest. We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the PNW Guns family!


Old 03-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Sharpshooter
 
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
I know my 870 didn't like cheap ammo initially, and I know my .22 doesn't either.

You gotta find what works in your gun and shoot it.
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Rifleman
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: WA
Posts: 120
My Walther P22 is a little picky, but has become less picky over time.
At first, it was high velocity rounds only. Now it can feed standard velocity rounds as well at about 95% reliability. Sub-sonic, you can forget it.

Considering that Walther puts the break-in for the pistol at 500 rounds, the ammo situation was not unexpected.

P.S., Remington Golden bullets don't work very well in my friend's Ruger 10/22, but just about everything else does.

Last edited by Booga; 03-04-2010 at 09:20 PM.
 
Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
Rifleman
 
JayD1981's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Richland, WA
Posts: 151
Put a few hundred rounds more through it. It the problem still persists, contact Oly Arms.
 
Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Talking More Ammo? OK!

Got ya! Are you thinking 'tight breach'?
Barrel is marked 556.
I'm gonna try to run out the Remington I have left.
I have a bag of .223 and .40 S&W brass for ya.
 
Old 03-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
Marksman
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: WA
Posts: 463
The one thing Oly usually does right is their barrels so I'm not sure the breach is tight. Extractor tension may be an issue. Make sure you have the right colored spring for your extractor. BCM makes a good kit for carbines. What barrel / gas system configuration are you running?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-E...20%203pack.htm
 
Old 03-05-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianaintright View Post
The one thing Oly usually does right is their barrels so I'm not sure the breach is tight. Extractor tension may be an issue. Make sure you have the right colored spring for your extractor. BCM makes a good kit for carbines. What barrel / gas system configuration are you running?

BCM Extractor Spring Uprade Kit
The extractor spring is silver/grey in color. I'm unsure how to describe the the
barrel / gas system except to say, 'its the original/traditional gas style'.
Thanks for the link!

I have on the way: 741-015-003 AR15/M16 D-FENDER D-RING <<< Got this idea from AR-15 magazine.
100-004-041 AR-15 HEAVY DUTY EXTRACTOR SPRING
From Brownells

Last edited by James; 03-05-2010 at 06:16 AM.
 
Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Rifleman
 
GregM's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
From: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 182
I could be that the cheap ammo is loaded lower so that it does not have enough oompf to send the bolt back all the way for a clean ejection.
Just a thought

Another good reason to roll your own
 
Old 03-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Trying another brand of ammo...

Picked up a box of 20 "American Eagle, Tactical XM193, 5.56 x45mm, 55 gr FMJ".
Gonna give these a try.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Jim
 
Old 03-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #10
Marksman
 
Metonymy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Washington
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Picked up a box of 20 "American Eagle, Tactical XM193, 5.56 x45mm, 55 gr FMJ".
Gonna give these a try.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Jim
American Eagle isn't the same as XM193. Although Federal makes both of them, the American Eagle is a pure .223 round, and the XM193 is a 5.56 round.

Both should cycle in your rifle just fine.

Oh... be aware... the XM193 rounds... they're going to stink. It's the powder they use.
 
Old 03-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #11
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metonymy View Post
American Eagle isn't the same as XM193. Although Federal makes both of them, the American Eagle is a pure .223 round, and the XM193 is a 5.56 round.

Both should cycle in your rifle just fine.

Oh... be aware... the XM193 rounds... they're going to stink. It's the powder they use.
Sorry, but is printed on the side of the box 'American Eagle Tactical XM193'.
They are 5.56 X 45MM
 
Old 03-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Sharpshooter
 
FatFugg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Dri-Shities
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Sorry, but is printed on the side of the box 'American Eagle Tactical XM193'.
They are 5.56 X 45MM
Yup! I got some right here.
 
Old 03-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
Marksman
 
Metonymy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Washington
Posts: 370
Ohhhh.... You're talking about the black box with white writing. I'm thinking of the red/yellow box. (added pics below for reference)

From what I've read, it's really .223 ammo loaded into the lake city brass. Either way, they'll cycle your rifle, and they're going to smell strange. :)




Last edited by Metonymy; 03-06-2010 at 09:43 AM.
 
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Thants it!

Yup! The Black and White box! I bought 20 rounds, 'to try it out'.
 
Old 03-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Talking Parts arrived...

I recieved the 'D' O-ring and H.D. extracter spring today!
 
Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #16
Marksman
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: WA
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
The extractor spring is silver/grey in color. I'm unsure how to describe the the
barrel / gas system except to say, 'its the original/traditional gas style'.
Thanks for the link!

I have on the way: 741-015-003 AR15/M16 D-FENDER D-RING <<< Got this idea from AR-15 magazine.
100-004-041 AR-15 HEAVY DUTY EXTRACTOR SPRING
From Brownells
I was asking if your gas system is carbine length, mid length or rifle length and what length the barrel is. Sometimes the wrong parts combination can cause issues and it helps determine what extractor spring needs to be used. Usually, the extractor spring color is determined by the insert in the middle of it.

I apologize for not being more specific.
 
Old 03-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #17
Rifleman
 
migxdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: redmond,wa
Posts: 246
might be a bad batch, meet with me and I can measure them for you. or you can clal the company and tell them and they will replace them (from personal experience)
 
Old 03-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #18
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianaintright View Post
I was asking if your gas system is carbine length, mid length or rifle length and what length the barrel is. Sometimes the wrong parts combination can cause issues and it helps determine what extractor spring needs to be used. Usually, the extractor spring color is determined by the insert in the middle of it.

I apologize for not being more specific.
I apologize for my ignorance. I don't know. Its a Carbine, by Olympic Arms.
How do I measure the length of the rifles system?
 
Old 03-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #19
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by migxdm View Post
might be a bad batch, meet with me and I can measure them for you. or you can clal the company and tell them and they will replace them (from personal experience)
I cant. I'm in SE Wa.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #20
Rifleman
 
GregM's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
From: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 182
On my FAL there is an adjustment that you do to divert more or less gas back to the ejection mechanism. You adjust it until the ejector operates properly after a round is fired.
 
Old 03-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #21
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Talking It's working like it's supposed to!

I did a combination of things.
It had an A-2 handle/upper receiver on the rifle.
Its now a flat-top rail receiver.
I also replaced the extracter spring with a Brownell' HD replacement spring.
I add a 'D' o'ring to replace the stock o'ring.
Took it to the range and ran (2) 30 round mags of the Remington .223 rounds.
(The stuff that was not ejecting)
It's working like its supposed too! Not a hick-up!
Many Thanks to all for ALL your help!
Jim
 
Old 03-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #22
Marksman
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: WA
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I apologize for my ignorance. I don't know. Its a Carbine, by Olympic Arms.
How do I measure the length of the rifles system?
No sweat James. Sometimes it's difficult for gun geeks to remember back when they were just starting out. My fault not yours. I don't think Oly makes a mid length so if it's not a full size rifle with a 20" barrel, you have a carbine length gas system. It's the shortest of the common three types.
 
Old 03-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #23
Sharpshooter
 
GixxerPete's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Renton, WA
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by migxdm View Post
might be a bad batch, meet with me and I can measure them for you. or you can clal the company and tell them and they will replace them (from personal experience)
The only ammo that's ever jammed in my AR are your reloads.
 
Old 03-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #24
Rifleman
 
migxdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: redmond,wa
Posts: 246
thats cuz it was my first learner batch butt puncher!
 
Old 03-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #25
Rifleman
 
migxdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: redmond,wa
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I cant. I'm in SE Wa.
mail me a few
 
Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #26
Rifleman
 
JayD1981's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Richland, WA
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by migxdm View Post
thats cuz it was my first learner batch butt puncher!
I know how you feel. I started reloading about 6 months ago. I had a 200 round batch of 9mm that my carry pistol hated. I guess the starting charge wasn't enough to get it to chamber the next round. Luckily my Mac10 didn't mind it so I still was able to use them.
 
Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by migxdm View Post
mail me a few
Can't! Got the gun working. Shot'em ALL up!
All's I got left is the brass and, I gave that to JD1981!
But, Thanks for the offer!
 
Old 03-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #28
Sharpshooter
 
James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Pacific NW
Posts: 690
Question OK, NEW question, Ammo cost?

My local Tru-Value Hardware store has on Sale "Federal XM193 Rounds"
55gr 900rd Case Stripper Clip 5.56mm Ammo
Metal case, boat tail, ball.
$348.00+ tax case of 900

Is this a good price?
 
Reply

  PNW Guns > Gun Forum > Auto Rifles

Tags
ammo, question



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @pnwguns PNW Guns RSS Feed

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2009 - 2010 PNW Guns. All rights reserved.