PNW Guns Forum
Go Back   PNW Guns > PNW Guns > Gun Doctor

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
Gunslinger
 
Stevenson13B's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 11
Reccomended cleaning kit?

I currently own a Springfield armory XD 9mm sub compact, and being I'm excited military I have an Ocd with clean guns. (we should all have this compulsion in my opinion :p)

I'm looking for a cleaning kit that I can continually use even when I add to my hand gun collection. Maybe even a kit that allows for some expansion in tools itself. I just see how spendy some can be and I Know for the most with things you get what you pay for. (oh how I miss central issue lol)

Any way I figure someone here can help me make my decision.
Thanks in advance!
 
Join PNW Guns


Welcome to PNW Guns, a gun and firearm community for gun owners in the Pacific Northwest. We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the PNW Guns family!


Old 07-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Marksman
 
PiNk TCP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 258
I have one for every caliber, this takes care of the barrel anyway... Hoppe's BoreSnake Pistol and Revolver Bore Cleaner
 
Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Gunslinger
 
Stevenson13B's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiNk TCP View Post
I have one for every caliber, this takes care of the barrel anyway... Hoppe's BoreSnake Pistol and Revolver Bore Cleaner
Is hoppes cleaning lubricant any good also? im used to CLP but am willing to expand out side my normal parameters if its reccomended
 
Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 AM   #4
Marksman
 
DerBarbarian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Seattle
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiNk TCP View Post
I have one for every caliber, this takes care of the barrel anyway... Hoppe's BoreSnake Pistol and Revolver Bore Cleaner


I have a basic Hoppes kit for Pistols/Rifles/Shotguns, I have brushes for each individual caliber in addition to BoreSnakes (which are fucking awesome.) I've been using Hoppes lubricant for many years and I've yet to run into any issues with it, granted there are tons of other ones out there so you could test a few out and see which one works best for you.
 
Old 07-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Moderator
 
sunofnun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: s. greenlake bitch
Posts: 1,681
I use hoppes #9, gun scrubber and break free for solutions.


I have a very mixed bag of rods, bore brushes (in various cal), tooth brushes, and a few picks..

I end up keeping whats useful and ditching the rest. Different guns need different tricks to get the tight spots. As your collection grows.. so will your cleaning arsenal.


Otis makes a great kit to get started with if your starting from scratch.

Otis 9mm Pistol Cleaning System
 
Old 07-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Gunslinger
 
Stevenson13B's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofnun View Post
I use hoppes #9, gun scrubber and break free for solutions.


I have a very mixed bag of rods, bore brushes (in various cal), tooth brushes, and a few picks..

I end up keeping whats useful and ditching the rest. Different guns need different tricks to get the tight spots. As your collection grows.. so will your cleaning arsenal.


Otis makes a great kit to get started with if your starting from scratch.

Otis 9mm Pistol Cleaning System

Thanks bud! I'll definitely check it out considering we use xd's :p
 
Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
Marksman
 
Fast Eddie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 264
Hoppe's has a nice Starter kit in a wood box, it has the rods, brushes for various calipers cleaner, oil, cloths etc. most dental hygene tools make nice gun cleaning tools.
 
Old 07-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Rifleman
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: Puyallup, Wa
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
Hoppe's has a nice Starter kit in a wood box, it has the rods, brushes for various calipers cleaner, oil, cloths etc. most dental hygene tools make nice gun cleaning tools.
I have this. Works great for me. I just use bores makes instead of the brushes.
 
Old 07-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
Marksman
 
Fast Eddie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 264
I prefer plastic brushes to the brass or copper ones and I never use a steel or stainless steel brush on my guns. As a general rule of thumb, you don't want to use a cleaning tool that is harder than the parent material you are trying to clean.
 
Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Moderator
 
sunofnun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: s. greenlake bitch
Posts: 1,681
yeah.. I use plastic brushes as well..
 
Reply

  PNW Guns > PNW Guns > Gun Doctor

Tags
cleaning, handgun, kit, reccomended, xd9



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @pnwguns PNW Guns RSS Feed

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2009 - 2010 PNW Guns. All rights reserved.