PNW Guns Forum
Go Back   PNW Guns > Pacific Northwest > Washington

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Everett WA
Posts: 1
Snohomish County - Places to Shoot

I'm looking for a good outdoor shooting area in the Snohomish County area which would be safe for rifles. I have heard people talk about Green Mountain, but that is 1.5 hours away and also sounds like it has been made illegal to shoot there. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!
 
Join PNW Guns


Welcome to PNW Guns, a gun and firearm community for gun owners in the Pacific Northwest. We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the PNW Guns family!


Old 07-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Gunslinger
 
Senior Dragon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Camano Island Wa.
Posts: 13
Marysville Rifle Club > Home
 
Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Woodinville WA
Posts: 255
You won't get the answer you're looking for. I asked a bit ago too. See, instead of working as a group to positively impact the "open" places where they shoot, folks seem to want to hold on to them and keep them as secret as they can. Only problem is that if more responsible people used them, and organized clean-up days, etc. those places would never be shut down in the first place. But no. They want it keep it on the down low, until the a-holes dump and shoot up one too many computer monitors, or fridges and they get shut down.

Sad really.
 
Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Sharpshooter
 
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by philster View Post
You won't get the answer you're looking for. I asked a bit ago too. See, instead of working as a group to positively impact the "open" places where they shoot, folks seem to want to hold on to them and keep them as secret as they can. Only problem is that if more responsible people used them, and organized clean-up days, etc. those places would never be shut down in the first place. But no. They want it keep it on the down low, until the a-holes dump and shoot up one too many computer monitors, or fridges and they get shut down.

Sad really.
lol, and in doing so, you've become what you're bitching about.

when's the last time you posted a cleanup, or even a spot?



I know a few spots. They are open and legal. They are clean. No, I won't share as I intend for them to stay that way.
 
Old 07-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Woodinville WA
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by koorbloh View Post
lol, and in doing so, you've become what you're bitching about.

when's the last time you posted a cleanup, or even a spot?



I know a few spots. They are open and legal. They are clean. No, I won't share as I intend for them to stay that way.
I don't have one... All my shooting is done at the Kenmore range because nobody shared with me...
 
Old 07-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: NW Quadrant WA State
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by philster View Post
You won't get the answer you're looking for. I asked a bit ago too. See, instead of working as a group to positively impact the "open" places where they shoot, folks seem to want to hold on to them and keep them as secret as they can. Only problem is that if more responsible people used them, and organized clean-up days, etc. those places would never be shut down in the first place. But no. They want it keep it on the down low, until the a-holes dump and shoot up one too many computer monitors, or fridges and they get shut down.

Sad really.
What's stupid is the number of "woodsy locations" that are trashed aren't trashed by the visiting shooters, they're trashed by the locals. In many cases they live within a few miles and rather than haul that couch on the porch, that the dog just had a litter of pups on, to the dump they just drive it up the road a mile or so. Likewise the TV that won't pick up a signal anymore because of Digital TV. don't blame the people from "the City" for all of this, the resident "Clampitt Family" does a good job too.
 
Old 07-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Gunslinger
 
dsolie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Olympia, WA
Posts: 42
There are a few nearby. If people know of others, email me.
WGO Range Map
 
Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Moderator
 
sunofnun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: s. greenlake bitch
Posts: 1,683
phil it's not personal..

in the last 15 years most of the shooting areas that are under an hour away have been shut down. We all have to drive further and further to find spots that are still open.

I really don't have any spots within a hour of lynnwood that are open.

It's up and over the pass or way down south for me.
 
Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: NW Quadrant WA State
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolie View Post
There are a few nearby. If people know of others, email me.
WGO Range Map
The "honey hole" you show at South Big Lake is gated off. NO Access.
 
Old 07-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
Gunslinger
 
dsolie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Olympia, WA
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
The "honey hole" you show at South Big Lake is gated off. NO Access.

Thanks for letting me know! I can't visit all these places so I rely on the info of others. I'll update the map to reflect the gate.

Is there any signage up at all, or just a gate.
 
Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Woodinville WA
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofnun View Post
phil it's not personal..

in the last 15 years most of the shooting areas that are under an hour away have been shut down. We all have to drive further and further to find spots that are still open.

I really don't have any spots within a hour of lynnwood that are open.

It's up and over the pass or way down south for me.
I don't take it personally. Hell, I'm a steelhead fisherman... I won't give you my spots on the water.

But it is sad, that folks could work together on this to make shooting, better, funner, easier, and safer.
 
Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
Sharpshooter
 
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by philster View Post
I don't take it personally. Hell, I'm a steelhead fisherman... I won't give you my spots on the water.

But it is sad, that folks could work together on this to make shooting, better, funner, easier, and safer.
tell you what.....you put a steelhead on my line, and I'll show you a few spots.
 
Old 07-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Woodinville WA
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by koorbloh View Post
tell you what.....you put a steelhead on my line, and I'll show you a few spots.
There's a little difference in that equation. Everytime you go to your spot, it's there...
 
Old 07-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Sharpshooter
 
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
is there that much of a difference?

I'm having trouble catching steelhead, you're having trouble finding places to shoot.

we're both in search of the great white whale.
 
Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #15
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Woodinville WA
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by koorbloh View Post
is there that much of a difference?

I'm having trouble catching steelhead, you're having trouble finding places to shoot.

we're both in search of the great white whale.
The fact that you believe that tells me a lot about how experienced you are in steelheading. the difference is I can take you to all the best spots I know all day and it's 95% certain you won't catch one. You can go back 3 times a week and you probably won't catch one for months, if even that season. Because if you haven't caught a number of steelhead, you don't know what you're doing wrong. Nothing against your skills, we all start out catching mistakes. It takes a few mistakes to start putting things together.

I have two kids. Putting someone on a steelhead is an investment in time I can't afford.
 
Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
Sharpshooter
 
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
rofl. trust me, I know why I'm not catching steelhead ;)

I'm just flippin' you a bit of shit.
 
Old 07-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #17
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Woodinville WA
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by koorbloh View Post
rofl. trust me, I know why I'm not catching steelhead ;)

I'm just flippin' you a bit of shit.
well, I have a place to shoot and I catch steelhead... I can take a little shit flippin'
 
Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #18
Moderator
 
sunofnun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: s. greenlake bitch
Posts: 1,683
I hate steel head fishing for that very reason.

I spent soooo many hours as a kid on the woodland bar down in southern wa. we'd be out there all day.. w/NADA. A few of us would bring our dirt bikes.. SAVING GRACE.
 
Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #19
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Jun 2011
From: Everett, WA
Posts: 60
Range

So, I know it isn't open yet but there is a county range in the works.

Sno-Co

Meanwhile, I know it isn't in Sno county but the Whatcom county range is pretty sweet. I was up there the first time a couple weekends ago. It is used by local departments for training so you might be well served to verify the range is WFO. Best range I have been to in WA, hands down. CCW friendly(No, not all of them are. I know it sounds stupid), and all around cool guys.

I for one am keeping tabs on the new range for volunteer opportunities and public input. We needed something like Whatcom, yesterday.

Cheers,

Al
 
Old 07-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #20
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Woodinville WA
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheral87 View Post
CCW friendly(No, not all of them are. I know it sounds stupid), and all around cool guys.
Al
Yeah. At mine if you pull out a Concealed weapon it's called "brandishing". You basically are not allowed to pull a concealed weapon out, shoot it, and then return it to the holster. Once out of the holster it must be carried back to your car in a case of some sort.

So yeah it sounds weird, but not all ranges are Concealed Carry friendly.
 
Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #21
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: NW Quadrant WA State
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by philster View Post
Yeah. At mine if you pull out a Concealed weapon it's called "brandishing". You basically are not allowed to pull a concealed weapon out, shoot it, and then return it to the holster. Once out of the holster it must be carried back to your car in a case of some sort.

So yeah it sounds weird, but not all ranges are Concealed Carry friendly.
Kenmore?

Rules there are that any concealed weapon, once removed at the range, becomes a "Range Gun" and has to be cased or "action open".

If you are carrying concealed, just leave it concealed.

Just a safety rule and with their record for safety, it seems to be working.

BTW, safety rules unfortunately have to take into consideration the "lowest common denominator". Not everyone who owns a gun behaves safely with it.
 
Old 07-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #22
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Woodinville WA
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
Kenmore?

Rules there are that any concealed weapon, once removed at the range, becomes a "Range Gun" and has to be cased or "action open".

If you are carrying concealed, just leave it concealed.

Just a safety rule and with their record for safety, it seems to be working.

BTW, safety rules unfortunately have to take into consideration the "lowest common denominator". Not everyone who owns a gun behaves safely with it.
Yup. And yes what you say is true, including the safety record. I'm very happy to shoot there. But exposing a concealed gun there is also considered brandishing. I don't have problem with it. You know going in. Take it out when you're sitting in the car. Slip it in a case. No biggie. But it probably strikes everyone as a little weird the first time they hear the rules. Freakin' guns every direction you look being fired, but you pull your shirt back and it's "Whoa there buddy! No brandishing a firearm! I'm going to have to ask you to leave!"
 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #23
Peashooter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 7
Personally i go to Plantation Range in Bellingham, very nice guys up there and not all the rules and bs of Kenmore. Well worth the hour drive for me. Plus you don't have to be a member. I took the whole family and spent almost 5 hours there and only cost me $25 bucks i think..lol They have 50, 100, 200, and 300 for HP rifles.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #24
Marksman
 
Joined: May 2011
From: NW Quadrant WA State
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbluehunter View Post
Personally i go to Plantation Range in Bellingham, very nice guys up there and not all the rules and bs of Kenmore. Well worth the hour drive for me. Plus you don't have to be a member. I took the whole family and spent almost 5 hours there and only cost me $25 bucks i think..lol They have 50, 100, 200, and 300 for HP rifles.
I've shot both places. The rules for behavior and Safety are almost identical. Just remember, at Plantation there are no Cease Fires. You either have a spotting scope, a high power rifle scope, or you don't see your "hits". No retrieving targets.

As for carrying a pistol, I was told plainly by the RSO "This is a Cold Range". Conceal or put your SD firearm in your vehicle. So what's the difference?
 
Old 03-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #25
Newbie
 
Joined: Mar 2017
From: Lake Stevens, WA
Posts: 2
Smile Take the Machias bridge

Until it turns into OK MILL ROAD..keep right onto Carpenter Rd.(about 7.8 miles)
Take the fork left onto Robe Mendel road.Take a sharp tight onto NFD RD 6126.. if the gate is closed.. park and walk .. it huge..
 
Reply

  PNW Guns > Pacific Northwest > Washington

Tags
county, places, shoot, snohomish



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @pnwguns PNW Guns RSS Feed

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2009 - 2010 PNW Guns. All rights reserved.