PNW Guns Forum
Go Back   PNW Guns > PNW Guns > CCW

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Marksman
 
Metonymy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Washington
Posts: 370
Choosing a Pistol for Concealed Carry?

What do you feel is the best gun for concealed carry? When making your choice what factors did you take into consideration?

- Caliber?
- Physical size?
- Capacity?
- Weight?
- Your own body size for concealment purposes?

Anything else that helped you decide? What did you end up with?
 
Join PNW Guns


Welcome to PNW Guns, a gun and firearm community for gun owners in the Pacific Northwest. We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the PNW Guns family!


Old 01-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Marksman
 
Kolat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Spokane
Posts: 371
I feel the biggest gun you feel comfortable with.

I carry a glock20, not much larger that you can conceal.

The key thing to me is that it's something that your comfortable with. You can have the biggest badest gun on the planet but if your not comfortable with it and not familiar with it then it might as well be a rock to throw instead of a gun.

T
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Marksman
 
WarriorDriver's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Ltown, WA
Posts: 255
Glock36
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Gunslinger
 
Gamuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Granite Falls, WA
Posts: 20
Add on question: what type of holster do you recommend?
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Marksman
 
WarriorDriver's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Ltown, WA
Posts: 255
Raven Phantom works for me, or an Mtac

you want IWB or OWB?
 
Old 01-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Gunslinger
 
Gamuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Granite Falls, WA
Posts: 20
I'd like to carry while at work. Doing retail, you never know when a bad day will walk through the door, but I can't carry exposed. So, it'll have to be IWB with the shirt tucked in.
 
Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
Sharpshooter
 
FatFugg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Dri-Shities
Posts: 745
My two favorites for CC have been a H&K USP Compact .45 & my current choice a Springfield XD .40 sub-compact. Neither one has a ton of capacity, but their small enough that with a loose shirt they aren't visible using a paddle holster. If I can't stop them with my current 11 shots, I guess I wasn't meant to stop them!

Last edited by FatFugg; 01-27-2009 at 09:23 PM.
 
Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Sharpshooter
 
FatFugg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Dri-Shities
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamuru View Post
I'd like to carry while at work. Doing retail, you never know when a bad day will walk through the door, but I can't carry exposed. So, it'll have to be IWB with the shirt tucked in.
Make sure it's not against your companies policy. Some companies have strict policies about carrying or even having a firearm in your vehicle at work.
 
Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Gunslinger
 
Gamuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Granite Falls, WA
Posts: 20
I wonder what their policy is for when someone starts popping rounds at me if I'm not allowed to carry? Assume the fetal position?

No, but seriously. I'll review it, but I know that my safety and security is my own responsibility.
 
Old 01-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
Sharpshooter
 
FatFugg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Dri-Shities
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamuru View Post
I wonder what their policy is for when someone starts popping rounds at me if I'm not allowed to carry? Assume the fetal position?

No, but seriously. I'll review it, but I know that my safety and security is my own responsibility.
I agree with you, but for instance I am in a situation where I carry several thousand dollars in cash while working on a regular basis & our company has a strict no firearms policy. I have never needed a firearm while working, but it would be nice to at least have the option. Thankfully I have ninja like skills!
 
Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Marksman
 
Kolat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Spokane
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFugg View Post
I am in a situation where I carry several thousand dollars in cash while working on a regular basis & our company has a strict no firearms policy.
where do you work again? :-)

T
 
Old 01-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
Marksman
 
KillermondoDude's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Washington on the wet side
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFugg View Post
I agree with you, but for instance I am in a situation where I carry several thousand dollars in cash while working on a regular basis & our company has a strict no firearms policy. I have never needed a firearm while working, but it would be nice to at least have the option. Thankfully I have ninja like skills!
You never carry at work
Bad guy walked in and dropped a gun you mean its my gun THAT SUNNABITCH ROBBED MY HOUSE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem solved
 
Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #13
Gunslinger
 
ChixNBoozeNGunsNFireYEAH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Redmond, WA
Posts: 25
G26 here

My G20 has a giant fucking Aimshot rig - too big to conceal
 
Old 01-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #14
Rifleman
 
JayD1981's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Richland, WA
Posts: 151
I carry a S&W Sigma 9. Its pretty much a clone of a Glock 19. Fairly compact, 16 capacity (plus my shoulder holster holds an extra mag if I need it), and I feel pretty comfortable that hollow point 9mm put center mass will stop most bad people from doing their bad things.
 
Old 01-28-2009, 06:36 AM   #15
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 25
I carry a couple of different things in defferent situations.
I have a Ruger SP101 that fits in a pocket well. 5 rds of 357 will work in a pinch.
I've been a 1911 kind of guy for many years and that is my favorite. But...it is not a good choice for a defensive concealed weapon. The victim's ...I mean bad guys lawyer will tear you apart in court. Therefore, I carry either a G23 or a G26
I am no tin favor of carrying crunchentickers for defense. Too much mental gear change between the first long DA pull nad subsequent SA pulls. But I own a couple. I am comming to the opinion that in a carry piece, I am willing to substitute reliability for capacity. I like the little SP101. Fits just about anywhere. nothing to snag on a draw, if you can't stop a fight in five rds, you shouild have fled....
I'm not a fan of shoulder rigs. They are slow and they show. I like either SOB or IWB holsters either from Kramer or Galco

Last edited by pbmw; 01-28-2009 at 06:38 AM.
 
Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #16
Gunslinger
 
roland's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: wa
Posts: 29
kimber .45 ultra carry 2 galco holster. enough said
 
Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #17
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland View Post
kimber .45 ultra carry 2 galco holster. enough said
In the civil suit that is sure to follow, the dead guys lawyers are going to accuse you of intent, because you are using a "Combat" weapon.
Legally....you ought to be carrying what the LEO is carrying. Much less chance of the lawsuit going against you after the shooting.
 
Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #18
Gunslinger
 
roland's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: wa
Posts: 29
not sure what you are trying to get at here but i dont agree. kimber ucII is no more a combat weapon than any other you can buy. and it is legal to carry and what are the leo's carrying that i should? just becuase they carry a specific pistol is no reason i should.

i have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, which is exactly what i have a concealed weapon.

dont see where your logic is here?




Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmw View Post
In the civil suit that is sure to follow, the dead guys lawyers are going to accuse you of intent, because you are using a "Combat" weapon.
Legally....you ought to be carrying what the LEO is carrying. Much less chance of the lawsuit going against you after the shooting.
 
Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
Rifleman
 
thejrod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Marysville, WA
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmw View Post
In the civil suit that is sure to follow, the dead guys lawyers are going to accuse you of intent, because you are using a "Combat" weapon.
Legally....you ought to be carrying what the LEO is carrying. Much less chance of the lawsuit going against you after the shooting.
Oh god, not this shit again.

First, a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 is hardly a combat weapon. 7 rd capacity, 3" 1911 pistol. Some departments ARE allowed to carry 1911s, so your argument is crap.

Second, the whole argument is crap because nobody in the history of the world has been prosecuted based on that bogus myth.
 
Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #20
Gunslinger
 
roland's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: wa
Posts: 29
this was exactly what i did not want to see here, someone spouting erronious information about what they think is right with zero legal argument.
 
Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #21
Sharpshooter
 
GixxerPete's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Renton, WA
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metonymy View Post
What do you feel is the best gun for concealed carry? When making your choice what factors did you take into consideration?

- Caliber?
- Physical size?
- Capacity?
- Weight?
- Your own body size for concealment purposes?

Anything else that helped you decide? What did you end up with?
.380
teeny!
6
9.6 oz emtpy!


I wanted something small & light enough to stick in a jacket pocket. That used to be my snubby .38 revolver, but even that was kinda heavy and a bit thick at the cylinder. When I heard about the LCP and fired my buddy's, I knew that was the ticket. 6 rounds vs 5, plus an extra clip is small and easy to bring as well. It's WAY easier to shoot vs the .38 and the price was right at $270. Now I've added a Crimson Trace laser sight and it's an even sweeter package than before.


If I was looking for something a little bigger/heavier (and a lot more expensive) the Kahr PM9/MK9 is a sweet gun.
 
Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #22
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland View Post
not sure what you are trying to get at here but i dont agree. kimber ucII is no more a combat weapon than any other you can buy. and it is legal to carry and what are the leo's carrying that i should? just becuase they carry a specific pistol is no reason i should.

i have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, which is exactly what i have a concealed weapon.

dont see where your logic is here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejrod View Post
Oh god, not this shit again.

First, a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 is hardly a combat weapon. 7 rd capacity, 3" 1911 pistol. Some departments ARE allowed to carry 1911s, so your argument is crap.

Second, the whole argument is crap because nobody in the history of the world has been prosecuted based on that bogus myth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland View Post
this was exactly what i did not want to see here, someone spouting erronious information about what they think is right with zero legal argument.
You may want to read Massad Ayoob.
He has supported this view for many years. So has Gun Site.
I am perfectly aware that a 1911 is legal to carry. I am perfectly aware that it is not a "Combat" weapon. But my point is that the jury does not. And it will be played to the jury that by carrying that type of weapon that you had intent to do harm.
This is not me saying this. Massad Ayoob says this.
 
Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #23
Rifleman
 
thejrod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Marysville, WA
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmw View Post
You may want to read Massad Ayoob.
He has supported this view for many years. So has Gun Site.
I am perfectly aware that a 1911 is legal to carry. I am perfectly aware that it is not a "Combat" weapon. But my point is that the jury does not. And it will be played to the jury that by carrying that type of weapon that you had intent to do harm.
This is not me saying this. Massad Ayoob says this.
I've read much of Massad's work. He has some really great insight most of the time, but like everyone else on the planet, he's not infallible. I try to learn from available material, then I form my own logical conclusions/opinions. I won't take any one source as the gospel.
 
Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #24
Sharpshooter
 
GixxerPete's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Renton, WA
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolat View Post
I feel the biggest gun you feel comfortable with.

I carry a glock20, not much larger that you can conceal.

The key thing to me is that it's something that your comfortable with. You can have the biggest badest gun on the planet but if your not comfortable with it and not familiar with it then it might as well be a rock to throw instead of a gun.

T
Don't forget about pistol-whipping!
 
Old 01-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #25
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 38
I'm waiting on paperwork for my ccw. I've got a Sig P220 I'll carry once i'm legal. I've put more rounds than i can count through it, it's never jammed, and i'm comfortable and accurate with it. It's a little short on capacity at 8. But It's loaded with hydrashok +p ammo, and i know it will shoot. I'm ordering a combo IWB/ OWB holster for it. Eventually i'll pick up something smaller, that prints less. But for now i'm happy with what i have. Not to mention all my other pistols are big revolvers. I don't think i could conceal my 7" barreled Super Redhawk 44 magnum very easily.
 
Old 01-31-2009, 07:49 AM   #26
Gunslinger
 
Pointman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Puget Sound, Wa.
Posts: 84
What do you feel is the best gun for concealed carry?
Glock 29,26,27,33, 38/SA XD .40 sub compact/SA XDM

When making your choice what factors did you take into consideration?

- Caliber? = Best punch
- Physical size? +hand ergonomics
- Capacity? = at least two rounds per 3 targets
- Weight? so it doesn't cause flopping or deformed cover clothing
- Your own body size for concealment purposes? I can hide a S&W 500 4" on me!

Anything else that helped you decide? What did you end up with?
Variable use- two or four legged predators= Glock 29/10mm/10 round mag.




Concealment T-Shirt - V-Neck Style - GlockStore.com
 
Old 01-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #27
Rifleman
 
Coug91's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Spokane
Posts: 223
Depends..

G23 in either an off-side belt holster, strong side IWB, or in a discreet bag.
1911 (45) in either a strong side iwb or paddle. ocassionaly in a bag.


Discreet bag = tripple layer McDonalds bag. Works in places other options may not.
 
Old 01-31-2009, 10:11 PM   #28
Gunslinger
 
Pointman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Puget Sound, Wa.
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug91 View Post
Discreet bag = tripple layer McDonalds bag. Works in places other options may not.
Excellent concealment!
 
Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 PM   #29
Sharpshooter
 
FatFugg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Dri-Shities
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
Excellent concealment!
Ya, unless some hungry fuck wants your cheeseburger!
 
Old 02-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #30
Rifleman
 
Coug91's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Spokane
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFugg View Post
Ya, unless some hungry fuck wants your cheeseburger!
Then you politely show the dumbass the error of his ways...
 
Old 02-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #31
Rifleman
 
KrautBurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolat View Post
I feel the biggest gun you feel comfortable with.

The key thing to me is that it's something that your comfortable with. You can have the biggest badest gun on the planet but if your not comfortable with it and not familiar with it then it might as well be a rock to throw instead of a gun.

T
true true


I carry a 7 shot 357 mag (Titanium compensated 2" bbl)
or a Xd357 4"

any smaller and they are no fun to shoot IMHO




my roommate is 6'4"
he carrys a FN Five-Seven
 
Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #32
Gunslinger
 
pwb211's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: spokane
Posts: 56
Taurus 85 in jacket pocket and G29 iwb holster. Iwant something smaller to fit in my jeans pocket. any suggestion. Oh and I'm a skinny dude and don't wear huge clothes
 
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #33
Rifleman
 
FLIPEXED's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: Lacey, Wa
Posts: 126
I carry a Ruger P95 sometimes in a holster or IWB... it depends on the wardrobe situation. Its a hog but I'm most comfortable with it.
 
Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #34
Rifleman
 
Coug91's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Spokane
Posts: 223
G23 or S&W 1911PD.. :-)
 
Old 03-13-2009, 06:12 AM   #35
Gunslinger
 
Pointman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Puget Sound, Wa.
Posts: 84


YouTube - Conceal Carry Part1

YouTube - Conceal Carry Part2
 
Old 06-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #36
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: washington
Posts: 32
Carry choice

I decided to start carrying a tarus .38 special because it was what I could afford at the time and I made my system work to incorperate the weapon. I then bought my S&W 6904 in 9mm 12. Again made a clothing system to incorperate the weapon. I firmly believe it dosn.lt matter what you carry wether it be a .22 or a 50 cal desert eagle, you gotta just carry, if it sits at home because it is too bulky, heavy, to hard to conceal means it is just a lump of steel at home that is of no use to you when your out. Holster wise I had a leather ITWB holster by bianchi intertnational, the 9mm I have 2 holsters, OC holster by Uncle mikes, and ITWB nylon holster by blackhawk with space for a spare mag. I like the uncle mike OC holster for its retention strap and trigger guard retention. And it rides comfortably on my belt. I would really like to get the kel-tec PF-9 and get the availible clip that attatches directly to the fire arm for ITWB carry without a holster all together. So if I were giving advice on what to buy I would say, get something that you will carry all day everyday, caliber is of less importance then ability to make shot placement.

Keep it up guys!

-Lefdrgn
 
Old 06-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #37
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: washington
Posts: 32
youtube videos

Yea, rugersix has some good info, also check out Nutnfancy. He does table-top gun reviews that are very informative and he talks about their POU (Philosophy of use) as you follow Nutnfancy you may see why I like him, we agree on a lot of idea about carry responsibility and reasons.
 
Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #38
Rifleman
 
Jared535's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Spokane
Posts: 106
glock 36 on baggier clothes days and kel tec 380 the rest of the time
 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #39
Marksman
 
KillermondoDude's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Washington on the wet side
Posts: 371
best gun for concealed carry is this



yea i know its only a 2 shotter but if you miss with both barrels you deserve whats coming to you

Last edited by KillermondoDude; 06-24-2009 at 11:32 AM.
 
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #40
Sharpshooter
 
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillermondoDude View Post
best gun for concealed carry is this



yea i know its only a 2 shotter but if you miss with both barrels you deserve whats coming to you
I've been thinking about doing that to my 20gauge....but I like to be able to own people at skeet with a kids gun, lol
 
Reply

  PNW Guns > PNW Guns > CCW

Tags
carry, choosing, concealed, pistol



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @pnwguns PNW Guns RSS Feed

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2009 - 2010 PNW Guns. All rights reserved.