PNW Guns Forum
Go Back   PNW Guns > PNW Guns > Gun Rights

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Marksman
 
BigStick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 371
Gonzaga students on probation and guns siezed

"Gonzaga University will review its weapons policy as two students who used a pistol to scare off an intruder appeal their probation for having guns in their university-owned apartment."

2 Gonzaga students on probation for having guns | www.kirotv.com

What do you guys think about this sittuation? First, I want to address the fact that campus security came the next day and "confiscated McIntosh's pistol and Fagan's shotgun". Under what authority could they do that, and how long can they keep from giving them back?

Also, from what I understand, it was legal for them to have the guns, but the school does have a right to set it's own policy telling students not to have them on school property (including school owned off campus housing). If you don't like their rules, don't live/go there. So should the students be disciplined?

They did break school conduct rules that they agreed to. I understand why they are fighting it, but the rules are the rules, and they agreed to them. Until there is a state law prohibiting schools from prohibiting firearms (good luck with that), I think the school is within its rights to prohibit and punish violators.

Especially with all the news coverage of this, the school has to either change the policy to allow guns, or punish the students. Otherwise, it is clear that the policy only applies if you get caught or do something bad (also not a bad idea, to only have a policy against doing bad things with guns, not mere possesion).

Discussion?
 
Join PNW Guns


Welcome to PNW Guns, a gun and firearm community for gun owners in the Pacific Northwest. We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the PNW Guns family!


Old 11-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Rifleman
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: Puyallup, Wa
Posts: 212
I believe the rules on campus and in campus housing should be the same as for those anywhere else in the state. College campuses are far from safe. I get emails about criminal incidents for all UW campuses as it's legally required for them to send them out. People are getting robbed and cars are getting stolen all the time at the Seattle campus and occasionally at the Tacoma campus (where I'm a student). If you do something illegal it should be reported and let the cops take care of it.
 
Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Springfield, OR
Posts: 34
"let the cops take care of it" Like as in putting your body in a body bag?
 
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Marksman
 
BigStick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
"let the cops take care of it" Like as in putting your body in a body bag?
I think he was refering to how the campus security confiscated the guns, and saying that if you do something illegal, the security should let the real police deal with it.
 
Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Springfield, OR
Posts: 34
What did they do illegal?
 
Old 11-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Rifleman
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: Puyallup, Wa
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
"let the cops take care of it" Like as in putting your body in a body bag?
I meant let the cops take care of it as in if you do something illegal then the proper authorities should take the proper actions. They didn't break the law and as such aren't facing legal charges. They broke the student code of conduct they agreed to when they became students at Gonzaga and campus security confiscated their firearms and the school has to decide what to do about the incident.
 
Old 11-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Springfield, OR
Posts: 34
I get ya now. Does a school really have the authority to take firearms. It seems like if I was renting an apartment from a landlord and had the same policy I don't think my landlord could just come take my stuff. Maybe kick me out and give me 24 hours.
 
Old 11-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Rifleman
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: Puyallup, Wa
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
I get ya now. Does a school really have the authority to take firearms. It seems like if I was renting an apartment from a landlord and had the same policy I don't think my landlord could just come take my stuff. Maybe kick me out and give me 24 hours.
I think big stick or the article mentioned that, but I don't know that they do have that authority. I would think not. However, if I was in their situation I may have done the same thing. They now have to rely on the school to let them continue their education and cooperating with the school is in their best interests.
 
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Rifleman
 
taku's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: Oregon
Posts: 182
There was no crime committed by the 2 students.
Only a rules violation.
The "Campus gestapo" had no right to confiscate their
weapon.
In essence it amounted to theft, and possibly Robbery if intimidation was use to acquire it.
The 2nd Amendment is still in standing and their right to have the handgun was not in any
way limited by law.
They only violated the schools policy and that is purely a civil matter, not a crime.

What the "Campus gestapo" did was a crime, and I hope the students get a good attorney and call them to the carpet.
They used the firearm for what it was intended for. They stopped a 5 or 6 time felon from making them a victim.
I congratulate them.

Last edited by taku; 11-13-2013 at 10:06 PM.
 
Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Rifleman
 
hawker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Seattle
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by taku View Post
There was no crime committed by the 2 students.
Only a rules violation.
The "Campus gestapo" had no right to confiscate their
weapon.
In essence it amounted to theft, and possibly Robbery if intimidation was use to acquire it.
The 2nd Amendment is still in standing and their right to have the handgun was not in any
way limited by law.
They only violated the schools policy and that is purely a civil matter, not a crime.

What the "Campus gestapo" did was a crime, and I hope the students get a good attorney and call them to the carpet.
They used the firearm for what it was intended for. They stopped a 5 or 6 time felon from making them a victim.
I congratulate them.
The "Campus gespato" are frequently real-deal police officers. And the guns were involved in a crime, even if they were not "used in a crime". I had a pistol stolen, and the cops held onto it for _years_ after they found it/the thief (it had not been used in a crime other than being stolen from me). Then, I had to pass a background check before they'd give it back. It's not always as simple as "they were in the right".
 
Old 11-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Marksman
 
BigStick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 371
Well, they reported the guns as stolen to the real police when the school refused to give them back. I was glad to see that, but now that the school gave the guns back, I wonder what will happen with those charges? Giving them back does not undo the act of taking them. There is a lot still to figure out in how this plays out in the school and court system.
 
Old 11-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
Rifleman
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: Puyallup, Wa
Posts: 212
I'm interested to see how this plays out because I know a lot of college campuses and college towns attract unsavory people and it would be awesome if schools realized that. I know the UWT Police at my school can't carry guns, only tazers but they're real cops.
 
Old 11-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #13
Rifleman
 
taku's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: Oregon
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker View Post
The "Campus gespato" are frequently real-deal police officers. And the guns were involved in a crime, even if they were not "used in a crime". I had a pistol stolen, and the cops held onto it for _years_ after they found it/the thief (it had not been used in a crime other than being stolen from me). Then, I had to pass a background check before they'd give it back. It's not always as simple as "they were in the right".
If it had been fired or used to bludgeon someone, yes, but, it was just an inanimate object and no reason to take it as evidence. It was possessed but not actually used. I don't think they can use brandishing in a valid self defense scenario, but I am sure they could find something in the 43 million laws that are on the books now.....
 
Reply

  PNW Guns > PNW Guns > Gun Rights

Tags
gonzaga, guns, probation, siezed, students



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @pnwguns PNW Guns RSS Feed

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2009 - 2010 PNW Guns. All rights reserved.