PNW Guns Forum
Go Back   PNW Guns > PNW Guns > Gun Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
Exclamation Ammunition Sources

Okay, so I've shopped online at gunbroker, cheaperthandirt, tacticalammunition, bulkammo, around the local area, in more rural areas, etc. and don't have a good, reliable source of "inexpensive" ammo. What do you guys have?

Not really interested in reloading my own, but have no problem buying them.

Hook a brother up...
 
Join PNW Guns


Welcome to PNW Guns, a gun and firearm community for gun owners in the Pacific Northwest. We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the PNW Guns family!


Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
mjn
Marksman
 
mjn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Tri-Cities, Wa
Posts: 395
I watch the sales at my local store, and at Cabelas, and stock up when the price is right.
 
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
Yeah, I just grabbed a bunch today at Walmart in Renton (got there right after they received a shipment) but am looking for bulk stuff.

Some prices online look good, but once you add shipping it's not always that great.

BTW, drove by the new Cabela's up in Marysville on Saturday. Thing is yooge! Grand opening is in a couple weeks.
 
Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Rifleman
 
lyestille's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: tacoma
Posts: 226
Surplus arms and ammo.
GUN AMMO
Great place for bulk ammo and some of the best prices around.
 
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Sharpshooter
 
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
lol. inexpensive ammo.

that's a good one.

switch to .22lr.
 
Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Marksman
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: WA
Posts: 463
Gun show. Usually no tax and they want to move stuff. James at Surplus ammo is good to go as well.
 
Old 04-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Rifleman
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Graham, Wa
Posts: 240
What caliber?
 
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Rifleman
 
FLIPEXED's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: Lacey, Wa
Posts: 126
i go to surplus arms and ammo at least once a month... good prices
 
Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyestille View Post
Surplus arms and ammo.
GUN AMMO
Great place for bulk ammo and some of the best prices around.
Cool. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koorbloh View Post
lol. inexpensive ammo.

that's a good one.

switch to .22lr.
I thought of that as I created the thread. ;)

But yeah, I have a chunk of that and it's great to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianaintright View Post
Gun show. Usually no tax and they want to move stuff. James at Surplus ammo is good to go as well.
Aren't they few and far between though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDoc View Post
What caliber?
Well the purpose of this thread was to assemble some links (I can update the original post).

But we primarily shoot 45ACP & 9mm. But recently we've been shooting a good chunk of 38/357, 5.7 & 40 as well. As for bulk stuff I'm mainly looking at 45 and 9...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPEXED View Post
i go to surplus arms and ammo at least once a month... good prices
Linky?
 
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
Hmmm, I just saw Joshie's sticky thread about where you buy stuff online (which is pretty much what I was after with this thread)...

Where to you buy stuff online
 
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
Rifleman
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Graham, Wa
Posts: 240
You could try this site..

Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com

..but I personally shoot a lot of RBS ammo that I buy from the gun show.

RBS Ammunition - Affordable Target Ammo, Indoor Gun Ranges/Training Facilities
 
Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Rifleman
 
hawker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Seattle
Posts: 124
Hey Richard, how much are you shooting every month?

I've been reloading a bunch, and we could possibly work something out. I've got the setup for .45 and 9mm on the progressive.
 
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Rifleman
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Graham, Wa
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker View Post
Hey Richard, how much are you shooting every month?
This might be better discussed via PM...
 
Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker View Post
Hey Richard, how much are you shooting every month?

I've been reloading a bunch, and we could possibly work something out. I've got the setup for .45 and 9mm on the progressive.
It's 2 or 3 times a week typically. So maybe 100-200 rounds a session depending on what we're working on.
 
Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Sharpshooter
 
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDoc View Post
This might be better discussed via PM...
why?
 
Old 04-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
Rifleman
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Graham, Wa
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by koorbloh View Post
why?
ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Manufacturers

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

It's not for personal use, it's for profit. Might be better to discuss this via PM, or come to an agreement where one person buys the components, and borrows the other persons equipment. If you are reloading ammo for another person for any type of profit, you're manufacturing ammo without a license.
 
Old 04-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDoc View Post
ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Manufacturers

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

It's not for personal use, it's for profit. Might be better to discuss this via PM, or come to an agreement where one person buys the components, and borrows the other persons equipment. If you are reloading ammo for another person for any type of profit, you're manufacturing ammo without a license.
Luckily Mark and I go way back. We won't be in violation of anything.

But thanks for the concern and heads up! ;)
 
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
Rifleman
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Graham, Wa
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlpalmer View Post
Luckily Mark and I go way back. We won't be in violation of anything.

But thanks for the concern and heads up! ;)
Roger dodger.. I couldn't care less, but I would be very surprised if people in authority didn't scan through these posts. I wouldn't want to see anyone get undue attention just for helping a buddy out.
 
Old 04-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #19
Sharpshooter
 
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDoc View Post
ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Manufacturers

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

It's not for personal use, it's for profit. Might be better to discuss this via PM, or come to an agreement where one person buys the components, and borrows the other persons equipment. If you are reloading ammo for another person for any type of profit, you're manufacturing ammo without a license.
lol.

1) you quoted the wrong thing making it hard to follow what you call your thought process
2)
 
Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
Rifleman
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Graham, Wa
Posts: 240
Yeah, I didn't think the post was a good idea, so I didn't want to quote the whole thing.
 
Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
Sharpshooter
 
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
rofl. no love for the office space reference?
 
Old 04-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #22
Rifleman
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Graham, Wa
Posts: 240
It's a "Jump To Conclusions" mat. Get it?

Lol.. Great movie. I might show you my "O" face, it was so good.
 
Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
Rifleman
 
hawker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Seattle
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlpalmer View Post
It's 2 or 3 times a week typically. So maybe 100-200 rounds a session depending on what we're working on.
That's probably more than I can keep up with if I include my production level, but if you wanted to come use the press and do it in bulk, you're more than welcome to. Shop is up around 50th in Wallingford. Takes about an hour to do 500. I've got a nice soft competition 9mm load worked up. With molly bulletts, it ends up being about $100/1k if you bring some brass.

MP
 
Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
Rifleman
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Graham, Wa
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker View Post
That's probably more than I can keep up with if I include my production level, but if you wanted to come use the press and do it in bulk, you're more than welcome to. Shop is up around 50th in Wallingford. Takes about an hour to do 500. I've got a nice soft competition 9mm load worked up. With molly bulletts, it ends up being about $100/1k if you bring some brass.

MP
Nice! What powder you using?

*edit: I don't go to the range much because I live in the country. But when I do, I make it a point to scoop up any brass I shoot, and also take a quick look into the brass can and see if they have anything I can use. I went to the range just off JBLM last weekend and picked brass for about 20 min. I walked away with 350 5.56, 100 .45acp, and a bunch of .45LC, .357/.38 and .44mag. Do this every once in a while and you'll really build up your brass supply. My reloading buddy and I haven't bought brass in years, and we have thousands of rounds, just doing this.

Last edited by DevilDoc; 04-06-2012 at 11:16 AM.
 
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #25
Sharpshooter
 
GixxerPete's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Renton, WA
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker View Post
That's probably more than I can keep up with if I include my production level, but if you wanted to come use the press and do it in bulk, you're more than welcome to. Shop is up around 50th in Wallingford. Takes about an hour to do 500. I've got a nice soft competition 9mm load worked up. With molly bulletts, it ends up being about $100/1k if you bring some brass.

MP
You forgot the asterisk for those soft loads....

* Pistol may require softer springs to properly cycle mouse fart loads
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker View Post
That's probably more than I can keep up with if I include my production level, but if you wanted to come use the press and do it in bulk, you're more than welcome to. Shop is up around 50th in Wallingford. Takes about an hour to do 500. I've got a nice soft competition 9mm load worked up. With molly bulletts, it ends up being about $100/1k if you bring some brass.

MP
Thanks for the offer, man. I appreciate it. And if Corey becomes interested in reloading I'll probably take you up on it. It's been nice having a shooting partner. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerPete View Post
You forgot the asterisk for those soft loads....

* Pistol may require softer springs to properly cycle mouse fart loads
Nice!
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #27
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
This isn't a bad deal compared to what I've found local. But once you add shipping...

230 RN-TMJ "BALL" Ammo
 
Old 04-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #28
Marksman
 
DerBarbarian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Seattle
Posts: 360
Hey Richard, Online I generally go through AIM Surplus Home or Ammunition To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs! They normally have awesome deals on bulk ammo.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #29
Moderator
 
sunofnun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: s. greenlake bitch
Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlpalmer View Post
hmmm, i just saw joshie's sticky thread about where you buy stuff online (which is pretty much what i was after with this thread)...

Where to you buy stuff online
duh!

PS which calibers are you most interested in?

Last edited by sunofnun; 04-07-2012 at 07:38 AM.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #30
Marksman
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Bend, Or.
Posts: 472
NWAMMO
 
Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #31
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBarbarian View Post
Hey Richard, Online I generally go through AIM Surplus Home or Ammunition To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs! They normally have awesome deals on bulk ammo.
Gracias!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofnun View Post
duh!

PS which calibers are you most interested in?
Do you not read or something? (Sorry man, I know that's a personal problem for you...)

Most common is .45. Next would be 9mm. Of course we do a ton of .22LR but I that can be found inexpensively enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
Gracias!

Last edited by richardlpalmer; 04-07-2012 at 11:43 PM.
 
Old 04-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #32
Rifleman
 
hawker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Seattle
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDoc View Post
Nice! What powder you using?

:snip:
I use clays for my .45 loads. I'm burning through a couple of pounds of universal clays on my 9mm. I'll probably switch to titegroup after that if it doesn't smoke too bad.

H110 for .50AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerPete View Post
You forgot the asterisk for those soft loads....

* Pistol may require softer springs to properly cycle mouse fart loads
I don't know what's up with your springfield. Those cycle fine in my Kimber, with the stock spring. That said, I have down to an 11lbs recoil spring for it. Going to take the XD down to a 12lb for the next steels match.
 
Old 04-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #33
Rifleman
 
hawker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Seattle
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlpalmer View Post
Thanks for the offer, man. I appreciate it. And if Corey becomes interested in reloading I'll probably take you up on it. It's been nice having a shooting partner. ;)
Good deal! Just LMK.
 
Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #34
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
Have any of you guys ever tried Freedom Munitions stuff (new or reloads)?
 
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #35
Rifleman
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Graham, Wa
Posts: 240
I don't know what the deal was, but the gun show in Monroe this weekend had a lot more booths catering to reloading. For the first time, I found 6.8 brass, .277 ammo, my buddy found stuff for his .458 SOCOM.. I was impressed. Hope this trend continues.
 
Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #36
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
That's cool. I drove right by it (wanted to stop but it wasn't on the schedule).
 
Reply

  PNW Guns > PNW Guns > Gun Talk

Tags
ammunition, sources



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @pnwguns PNW Guns RSS Feed

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2009 - 2010 PNW Guns. All rights reserved.