PNW Guns Forum
Go Back   PNW Guns > Gun Forum > Pistols

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Rifleman
 
KrautBurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 181
anyone know Springfield 1911's ???

I'm looking to pickup a 1911 here pretty soon.

I think I'm leaning towards the "Range Officer"
(also interested in the "Loaded", "TRP", and "Operator")

can someone easily explain the real differences in these ???

anyone know where I can find realistic pricing info (so I know what to expect / not to get screwed when I go to gun shops)
springfield's website shows POR


Russ
 
Join PNW Guns


Welcome to PNW Guns, a gun and firearm community for gun owners in the Pacific Northwest. We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the PNW Guns family!


Old 01-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Marksman
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: WA
Posts: 463
Springers are good 1911's and the Loaded and Range Master models are good starting points for a custom gun built by the gunsmith of your choice. I believe the loaded is a base model with a few extras, the Range Master comes with adjustable sights.

The "operator" designation means the gun comes with a rail.

The TRP is a higher cost version with different levels of trim.

After that you move up to the "Pro" which is about $2500 and on the same level as Wilson and Nighthawk. Some actually prefer it to the big name semi-custom guns.
 
Old 01-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Sharpshooter
 
FatFugg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Dri-Shities
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianaintright View Post
Springers are good 1911's and the Loaded and Range Master models are good starting points for a custom gun built by the gunsmith of your choice. I believe the loaded is a base model with a few extras, the Range Master comes with adjustable sights.

The "operator" designation means the gun comes with a rail.

The TRP is a higher cost version with different levels of trim.

After that you move up to the "Pro" which is about $2500 and on the same level as Wilson and Nighthawk. Some actually prefer it to the big name semi-custom guns.
What would "need" to be done to one of these by a gunsmith as long as it cycles properly, has a smooth trigger pull & shoots straight?
 
Old 01-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Marksman
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: WA
Posts: 463
Nothing really. 1911's aren't glocks and everybody wants something a little different. The original design was made loose and shot military hardball just fine but with defensive ammo, some guys have found they need to be tweaked a bit.

If you buy one and it shoots the way you want, has the sights you want, works reliably with your chosen defensive ammo then I wouldn't change a thing.
 
Old 01-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Sharpshooter
 
GixxerPete's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Renton, WA
Posts: 845
Springfield Loaded MC Operator. (full size Govt model with rail)

Me likey, me want. YMMV


The Range Officer is Springfield's new 'entry level' 1911, without all the bells & whistles found on the more expensive models. It's still a Springfield so it's good to go, just no frills.
 
Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Marksman
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Bend, Or.
Posts: 472
I personally prefer the milspec models over GI. Definitely worth the few bucks more.
 
Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
Rifleman
 
KrautBurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerPete View Post
Springfield Loaded MC Operator. (full size Govt model with rail)

Me likey, me want. YMMV


The Range Officer is Springfield's new 'entry level' 1911, without all the bells & whistles found on the more expensive models. It's still a Springfield so it's good to go, just no frills.
from what I've found,
it's more of a TRP (without bells and whistles)

I got to handle one last week (and compare it to a loaded)


it's got a lowered and flaired ejection port
beavertale grip safety
skeletonized hammer
match trigger
match barrel
match barrel bushing
dovetailed (replaceable) sights
adjustable rear sight

etc...

that's what I'm leaning towards
 
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Rifleman
 
KrautBurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
I personally prefer the milspec models over GI. Definitely worth the few bucks more.
for the $50 difference,
I don't know why anyone would go with the GI
just the lowered and flaired ejection port is well worth that
 
Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Bothell, WA
Posts: 53
Just picked up a Range Officer today. Nice piece for the money. Fit and finish is very nice. It doesn't have some of the other bells and whistles like a FLGR, mag well flair, front strap checkering, flat top slide, ambidextrous safety, etc. But, it is tight, looks to have been polished in the right places and has enough goodies to make it a pretty good base gun for something fun. The crossed cannon, cocobolo grip panels are pretty cool though. We'll see how she shoots tomorrow.
 
Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Rifleman
 
KrautBurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by saread View Post
Just picked up a Range Officer today. Nice piece for the money. Fit and finish is very nice. It doesn't have some of the other bells and whistles like a FLGR, mag well flair, front strap checkering, flat top slide, ambidextrous safety, etc. But, it is tight, looks to have been polished in the right places and has enough goodies to make it a pretty good base gun for something fun. The crossed cannon, cocobolo grip panels are pretty cool though. We'll see how she shoots tomorrow.
that's what I'm thinking

I'm more worried about how well it shoots
good fittment, etc...

don't care much about night sights, serrations on the front of the slide, or the ambi-safety.
it's not gonna be much of a carry gun for me
just a "Range gun"

looking forward to your review after cycleing it a few times


BTW:
where did you get yours?
how much did you pay?
(you can PM me if you don't wanna post it)

Russ

Last edited by KrautBurner; 02-26-2011 at 09:25 AM.
 
Old 02-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Bothell, WA
Posts: 53
Based on the one I have, I'd have no worries about quality of build. The slide is tight, the barrel locks up well, the bushing needs a wrench, the ramp and slide face are smooth; not mirror smooth, but they have been worked to remove machine marks and parkerizing. It had been test fired before leaving the factory (the barrel was dirty). For the money, I am darned impressed.

I got mine at Kesselring's; they only had the one but my guess is they can get more. Price was $789, $850 after paying the State. The going rate seems to be between $750 and $850 if you can find one. I think anything under $800 is a decent deal. For what you get and the quality of build, I actually think that it's a pretty good deal. Like you, I will use this as a range gun. I'd like to build it into a wad gun for bullseye shooting. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles for that, just need a straight shooter.

Last edited by saread; 02-26-2011 at 10:33 AM.
 
Old 02-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Rifleman
 
KrautBurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 181
from what I've read (and seen)
you shouldn't need a bushing wrench on the RO ???

Discount Gun Sales had one for $879 (that's why I didn't get it)
Springfield 1911 Range Officer :: Springfield Armory :: Firearms - Handguns :: Discount Gun Sales LLC

for only $120 more I could get a SS Loaded with adjustable sights
Springfield STS Target Adj. :: Springfield Armory :: Firearms - Handguns :: Discount Gun Sales LLC
and it has the ambi safety
 
Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
Rifleman
 
KrautBurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by saread View Post
I got mine at Kesselring's; they only had the one but my guess is they can get more. Price was $789, $850 after paying the State. The going rate seems to be between $750 and $850 if you can find one. I think anything under $800 is a decent deal. For what you get and the quality of build, I actually think that it's a pretty good deal. Like you, I will use this as a range gun. I'd like to build it into a wad gun for bullseye shooting. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles for that, just need a straight shooter.
I just sent them an email,
I will be headed up to Bellingham tomorrow.
and if they have anything I'm interested in, I'll stop in.

should I drop your name? (if you give it to me)

Russ
 
Old 03-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Bothell, WA
Posts: 53
If your going to B'ham you have to stop by Kesselring's. I don't know if they got another RO in, but they had a lot of stuff in the case for any amount of money you'd like to spend. Of course, they can get whatever you want. Won't do you any good to drop my name in there. I'm just a guy who drops in whenever I get by there.

I had my RO out last weekend and it shot fine. Had some FTFs but just needed to push the slide forward to make them go into battery. Might be just a tight chamber and probably needs a few hundred rounds through it to break in, or possibly a little more spring. I'm going back to the range tomorrow and we'll throw it in a Ransom rest and see how it is. I've already ordered a FLGR for it and a new bushing from EGW. The rear of the barrel seems to lock up pretty well, but there's .004 clearance or so on the bushing and that's a little sloppy for what I want to do. I still think it's a lot of gun for the money.

Steve
 
Old 03-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
Gunslinger
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Spokane, WA
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by saread View Post
If your going to B'ham you have to stop by Kesselring's. I don't know if they got another RO in, but they had a lot of stuff in the case for any amount of money you'd like to spend. Of course, they can get whatever you want. Won't do you any good to drop my name in there. I'm just a guy who drops in whenever I get by there.

I had my RO out last weekend and it shot fine. Had some FTFs but just needed to push the slide forward to make them go into battery. Might be just a tight chamber and probably needs a few hundred rounds through it to break in, or possibly a little more spring. I'm going back to the range tomorrow and we'll throw it in a Ransom rest and see how it is. I've already ordered a FLGR for it and a new bushing from EGW. The rear of the barrel seems to lock up pretty well, but there's .004 clearance or so on the bushing and that's a little sloppy for what I want to do. I still think it's a lot of gun for the money.

Steve
Kesselrings is a great place to shop. Bought my Galco Holster and Mag Holder from that shop. Great bunch and they have good pricing. check them out!
 
Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
Rifleman
 
KrautBurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 181
updating an old thread.

I ended up picking up a Loaded Target model
Black and Stainless
trijacon adjustable sights
magwell
etc

I love it.

paid less than $1150 including Sales tax, shipping, and ffl fee
got it on GunBroker.com
 
Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
Moderator
 
sunofnun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: s. greenlake bitch
Posts: 1,683
that's a sexy bitch!!!!!!
 
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #18
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
Pics or it didn't happen!
 
Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #19
Moderator
 
sunofnun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: s. greenlake bitch
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlpalmer View Post
Pics or it didn't happen!
agreed!
 
Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
Rifleman
 
KrautBurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 181
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofnun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlpalmer View Post
Pics or it didn't happen!
agreed!


http://http://forums.1911forum.com/a...1&d=1344195465


Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofnun View Post
that's a sexy bitch!!!!!!

edit:
not sure why my pics won't link to the other forum
so I added the links

Last edited by KrautBurner; 02-04-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: trying to fix pics
 
Old 02-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #21
Rifleman
 
KrautBurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 181
http://http://forums.1911forum.com/a...7&d=1344194605


http://http://forums.1911forum.com/a...8&d=1344194638
 
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
Rifleman
 
KrautBurner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 181
and,

to keep her fed...

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...64022230_n.jpg
 
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #23
Sniper
 
richardlpalmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,318
They don't link because they're attachments in the other forum. Do you have pics hosted somewhere -- like you do for the reloading one?
 
Reply

  PNW Guns > Gun Forum > Pistols

Tags
1911, springfield



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @pnwguns PNW Guns RSS Feed

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2009 - 2010 PNW Guns. All rights reserved.